Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hour of testing

So until July 5th I am the "testing" teacher, which means I have 50 minutes of testing students, but the thing is, I rarely have students to test, so it becomes 40 minutes of internet time!

I should really bring my camera since I have this time to just use as I need---I guess I could prepare for tomorrows classes?!

Anyway--

Just a quick update on life.  I have written so many emails and facebook posts I am sorry if I repeat a lot!

We have found the church and let me tell you how we stood out the first sunday!  We walk in 20 minutes late, cause we can't figure out how to get to the church from the bus stop, and the meeting took a little pause while we sat down--but what a blessing to look up and see two white people sitting on "the stand".  The mission president and his wife came to say their good byes--so my first talk (listening) at church was in English!  That was a suprise!

Sister and President Furniss are leaving tomorrow, and the new President are coming in.  I sat and talked with Sister Furniss for the Sunday School and Relief Soceity time.  She doesn't speak or understand any Korean.  She reads church books during that time.

Anyway--the second Sunday we are still late because we got off at what we thought was the right stop, but it still wasn't correct.  We asked a lady where the church was and she walked away from us. Lucas yelled "I'm speaking Korean!" and she still walked away---first time someone hasn't been helpful.  The next two ladies we asked--walked us to the church--that is more of the Korean way!

I learned about "Chia" yesterday--it is a mindset that says we are all together, we are connected.  I help you because it is the right thing thing to do and one day someone will help me.  It seems like everyday the school brings in food and for about 10 minutes the teachers (13 of us) stand and eat the snack and talk.  It is a feeling of collectiveness. 

There are about 5 Korea teachers here that speak English very well.  I like to small talk with them.  the other ladies don't talk to me at all.


Other news

we went to Suncheon Garden Expo---which is a big deal here in Suncheon--it is a large "garden".  It has fun things, like face painting and plant planting, and fun places to take pictures.  It also has world gardens--America, France, South America, Italy, and many more places.  It was super hot on Saturday when we went and we weren't really on planning on going---Oops the bell rang---write more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment