Sunday, February 16, 2014

A year ago & new friends



Almost a year ago Lucas and I were driving home from Denver about this time.  We had spent Christmas with my mom and stayed for a funeral of a close friend of the family.

Of course with the new year we were talking about resolutions.  Lucas had made a few and Amy had made a few.  Amy's were pretty unrealistic and detailed, while Lucas was very vague and real.

Lucas wanted to develop more talents and take a chance and mix things up.  Two specific goals for him were to read the Book of Mormon and to reach his goal weight of 185.

I wanted to pack up the house and start over fresh and to become more focused on what is important--not be so spread out.  I am sure there were more, but those were the biggest one. I think I had said something about working and helping us pay off my school loans-which is the only debt we have-beside house.

Then I (Amy) said: "We should go to Korea."
Lucas: "Well, it is the only place I know you could get a job where YOU could support us with your education."
Amy: "Ok, lets go."
Lucas:  "Ok, but this is all on you.  You have to make it happen."
Amy: "Ok.  I want to do it."

That is NOT the exact conversation, but I am sure close enough. Both Lucas and I remember him saying exactly:  "this is all on you."

So that is how it happened.  The next day I was home and started looking into what I needed to do.  I knew for sure we would need a passport so I started there.

The whole process took us about 5 months and we were pushing hard.  We were overnight-ing stuff, we were cutting things CLOSE.  I suggest planning on AT LEAST 6 months if not 8 to get paperwork done.  Of course if you are more organized then I am then it would take LESS time, but I will not get to that now!

In fact I think I did post recently a blog on what we did to get here, but all my blog posts are not in order and some were written a lot time ago, but not published till now....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a cookie decorating party at a lovely woman's house named Sonia.  We met a really need family, David and Monica and their two children, Mickey and Lena.  
Mickey and Lena have changed their names to John and Sharon.

We have been to their house a few times and always really enjoyed ourselves.


They have a TON of English children books and their house is HUGE!


This is David, I don't even know his Korean name.  He is a very quiet and thoughtful person.  He teaches English at his home.  


Wheeler loves the space, the boy toys, and a friend to play with--But Wheeler has a hard time sharing with John!  But whenever we tell Wheeler we are going to Johns he gets VERY excited and says "MY John, My John!!"

Monica is showing the kids some cool magic tricks.  John is the little boy in the red plaid shirt, but Sharon wasn't in this picture.
Sharon is about 20 years old, but the girls love her!


I will try to get a good picture of Monica and David next time we go. 

I have taught them house to make Pancakes and Cookies (both from a premade mix, so it wasn't hard), but they were impressed with the results.  Sharon loves to cool, but I haven't been able to cook cause both times we were suppose to meet with them we have been REALLY late so Sharon had to go to work, or church. 



No comments:

Post a Comment